From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:36:30 -0500
Just wondering whether the idea of a "balanced" diet somehow comes from the
food pyramid brainwashing.  How do we know that 100% meat and fat diet
isn't balanced while eating a little bit of several food groups is?
Certainly fewer foods on the plate at one time is more "natural" than
serving up an array of foods which is only possible because of our modern
grocery stores where everything is available year-round whether it's in
season or not.  I think of adding veggies and limited fruit + nuts to break
monotony and add enjoyment, but not necessarily because it's "balanced" or
necessary.  I'm also not sure that all this stuff about needing certain
vitamins and nutrients is truly accurate.  We got that idea from
the "Recommended Daily Allowance" folks ie the government.  Why are we so
willing to believe them on this issue but be suspicious about their darling
food pyramid?