From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 17:38:26 +0200
Oliva wrote regarding the pic at:
 http://medtstgo.ucdavis.edu/endo/lecture/MetPics/fig38.gif

>The word "normal" was not defined in reference to the gif in
>the url listed. Is that a 5'5"  moderately active female who has a

>genetic lifespan of 80yrs
>or a 6' moderately active male with same.  Nothing is carved in
>stone.  Your
>protein requirements are different from mine on any given day.  My
>own*minimum* is about 60 gms.daily.     Oliva

How did you measure your own needs?
The author of the above lecture states to use the numbers from:
 << [Metabolic fluxes quoted here refer to the typical 70 kg adult.

Most of the data has been obtained with males and tissue
proportions will be somewhat different with females.] >>
Text at: http://medtstgo.ucdavis.edu/endo/lecture/metProtNit.htm

The gif just shows that at a certain point (at about 40 g of protein)
the nitrogen excretion increases,
which means that the body had no use for the nitrogen in the protein.
So we can assume that amino acids have been broken down for fuel.
That set point is of course individually different, and dependent
on the "quality" of the protein.
Such findings of the set points have been used to find out about
the quality of proteins.
The less protein you need before your nitrogen excretion rises,
the better is its quality - less unusable superfluous amino acids.

For example,
if you lived on wheat protein only (probably not :-) ) then only
57% of the amino acids are usable, compared to egg
(I have mentioned protein quality findings in previous posts).

The real protein requirements are expressed in grams pr kg
weight of body. For the best protein found,
the protein usage has been found to be about 0.4 grams per kg weight.
All above this - had been excreted again.

RDA goes well above this measure for safety of individual
stress needs, and the normally not ideal protein quality.

Protein gurus recommend protein ratios gigantic above this number
which would become in large amounts converted to glucose fuel.
This allows at least "carbohydrate" ingestion without sugars
or refined flour.

BTW i read about Taurin, a non essential amino acid which is
available only from animal protein in Cordaines paper and other
"beyondveg" articles.
However i couldn't find any food item with "taurine" listed
at USDA. Could anyone please point out which amino acid is ment
with that Taurin?

regards, Amadeus

looking for taurine. Which one is it? Or where else to look?

Game meat, deer, raw
Amino acids
 Threonine  Isoleucine
 Leucine  Lysine    Methionine