From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 20:44:14 -0600
Larelle wrote:

> I find it a bit depressing to see how much more you appear to be eating
> than I do and I can't seem to lose any weight.  I feel I have about 20 lbs
> to lose.  I would be very happy with losing 10.

The first 7 weeks I was eating paleo I didn't lose a pound.  I realized I
was eating WAY too much fruit, and cut back to not more than 30 grams
per day.  I also cut down on my breakfast, since I was not doing well
with eggs every morning.  See daily food intake below.  At that point,
I started losing weight.  I have lost 18 pounds in under 3 months.

I am in light to medium ketosis much of the
day (ketostix), and drink lots of water (more than 2 quarts daily, plus
several cups of tea).  I recently learned some tricks with ketosis.
If ketosis gets too high (and you are not diabetic), your insulin goes
up and your fat burning goes down; you are in fat-storing mode and
the ketosis drops.  This is a natural feedback loop.  SO, to use this,
keep your ketosis low to medium.  If it goes up, start drinking water
and flush the ketones out of the blood stream.

I only eat fruit at night, and then not more than 1 piece a day (often none).
I use nuts or unsweetened coconut for snacks.  I use onion, carrot, or tomato
in small amounts also.  My energy is greatly increased since eating paleo.

Today's food:
Breakfast-1 oz pecans
Snacks-1/2 oz hazelnuts, 1/2 oz unsweetened coconut
Lunch-large bowl mixed salad greens, a few cherry tomatoes, 4 oz. sliced ham
and
   beef, a little homemade dressing with olive oil and balsamic vinegar (not
paleo!)
Supper-2 lamb chops, cooked veg dish with zucchini, green onion, mushrooms and

    a little tomato, seasoned with herbs and cooked with olive oil
Dessert-4 strawberries and a few small pieces of melon

This is a very typical day.  Nearly every day I have a big raw salad,
sometimes twice
a day.  Occasionally I eat salmon or sardines.  I try to buy organic foods as
much
as possible.  This doesn't look like much food, but I am very well satisfied
on it.
Unlike when I was eating low-fat and high-carbo, when I was "starved" all the
time
and ate incessantly.

Good luck finding your right combination of foods and amounts.

Lynnet