From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 14:20:14 -0500
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 13:54:10 -0500, Ron Hoggan, Ed. D.
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I'm sorry, but I don't have any references to support my claim that the
> same amount of land used for vegetable & fruit production would support
> more
> people.

Here's an article that talks about a study done on that subject.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071008130203.htm

> I based this statement on personal experience and observation. Just have
> a look at bushels per acre production of any grain, then compare it
> with the production of any truck farm. The difference is so large that it
> would be impossible to argue with.

Comparing by volume can be tricky.  An acre of wheat can yield 3000 lbs,
while an acre of tomatoes can yield 40 tons -- obviously a gigantic
difference by volume.  However, in terms of available energy (calories),
the wheat has only about 1/3 less calories per acre than the tomatoes.
Still less, but not nearly as much as the volume difference would lead you
to believe.

--
   Robert Kesterson