From:
PaleoBabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2001 22:57:53 -0400
on 5/5/01 5:17 PM, Lynnet Bannion at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> The truth is, everybody is different.

<snip>

I am thinking that if you lose weight too fast,
> no
> matter how paleo-correct your diet is, it'll rebound on you.  Better to be
> patient,
> find what works, and not be "heroic" about it.

Excellent post, Lynnet.

I think a lot of people probably end up spinning their wheels when it comes
to weight-loss (and health) because they look at 'diets' as some kind of
abstract, arbitrary, mathematical equation, which, if followed exactly as
written, will produce a drop in weight.

The truth is, if you eat a diet that is healthy for *your body* you will
probably achieve a healthy weight, and overall health. You may not become
model-thin, or have a bullet-proof immune system, or climb Mount Everest,
but you'll be on the right track and way ahead of where they were.

The truth is, it doesn't matter what the 'experts' say. It doesn't matter if
Atkins says dairy is OK. If I drink milk, I get stuffy sinuses and an upset
stomach. It doesn't matter if Anchell says potatoes are OK. If I eat them, I
get joint pains. It doesn't matter if 'The Sweet-tooth diet' says sugar is
OK. If I eat sugar, I get raging headaches and my moods go out of control.
And so on for grain, soy, etc. And all this stuff also makes me gain weight.
Hmmmm.

The truth is, *your body* is all that counts. Following a healthy diet is
not like having a job where the boss makes unreasonable demands but if
you're smart you can sneak out on Friday afternoon and no one is the wiser.
You can't slip stuff under the radar on your body. I ate a few small potato
chips last night; today I had trouble walking. Lots of times I have a
reaction and have to think about what I ate to cause it, and then there's
that 'Oh, yeah....' moment. I'd venture to say that weight-loss probably
works the same way.

Paleo/NeanderThin is a great place to start because a) it's a pretty logical
concept and b) it came out of a search for better health (the Neander*THIN*
thing is marketing spin). But from there on, you have to figure out what
really works for you, which usually involves listening more to your body
that the experts.

Irene