Date:
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 11:40:53 +0900
Jeff Keller wrote:

> If I eat:
> 6oz Sirloin, grass fed
> handful of baby carrots
> salad
> a few walnuts
> handful of berries
>
> is this enough and is it balanced, enough calories for dinner?

Doesn't sound like enough to me. I eat more meat, and I tend
to use a lot of oil, olive or sometimes coconut, when
cooking. I eat the oil left in the pan. I haven't really
tried reducing O6 directly, but do tend to try to eat a
variety of fats, including lots (not a few) of nuts, and
avocados. I take fish oil to directly increase O3.

> I was vegetarian for 15 years and switched to paleo 3 months ago. I feel better but not great.  Maybe it takes
> more time to reverse the damage done.

I felt some better immediately after starting paleo, but not
really more energetic as such. Just a lot fewer of the
negative symptoms of grain eating. Less digestive distress,
fewer migraines, that sort of thing. I began to have more
good days and fewer bad days.

One year in now, and I am seeing more energy. My running
suddenly kicked off, after a 2 month break I started again
in mid summer, and suddenly the heat didn't bother, the
speed didn't bother, running 90 minutes didn't bother. All
the last year it had been good, by the standards of the last
20 years, I was happy with the results, but this summer has
been really great. I hope it keeps on...

Eat a variety of meats, and don't avoid the fat is my
reccomendation. If you were a veg 15 years you are probably
fat starved unless you were on an Amadeus-like high fat veg
diet. I never heard of such before him, though  ;--)

I eat a number of non paleo foods, yogurt, cream, almonds,
cashews. Don't seem to hurt...