From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 17:16:26 GMT
On Tue, 25 May 1999 12:11:07 +0100, Stephanie Laverie
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Ken [However, most people who use alternative medicine believe all of them,
>because alternative medicine is one of the ways that they define their
>identity. ]
>
>My identity has nothing to do with my faith in alternative medicine.  A lot of
>people, myself included, turn to alternative medicine after the so-called
>mainstream practitioners have let them down.  Try getting your food
>intolerances or candida diagnosed by a GP!  However, I have a healthy
>skepticism for all practitioners, whether mainstream or alternative. They do
>not know everything.
>
>Alternative is not bad, it's just different. The Paleolithic WOE/WOL is
>alternative.  I could guarantee that not that many Dr.'s (mainstream or
>otherwise) recommend it to their patients.  New ideas (or revisited old ideas
>or practices from other cultures) take a while to be accepted, it doesn't
>necessarily mean that these ideas are wrong.

It's amazing to me that someone could take a 3 sentence statement and ignore the
first two sentences.   It's not like I wrote several pages or anything.

The first two sentences I wrote were:

"I find that each alternative medicine recommendation is entirely separate from
all others.   Each one is based on a different principle, some are accurate,
some are partially correct, some are false."

I don't know how you can get "Alternative is bad" from that.

I also said " MOST people who use alternative medicine " which specifically
excludes anyone who doesn't happen to fit the characterization I was making.

That characterization is, btw, based on a wealth of input, including from
holistic physicians.

PS  The Paleolithic Diet is certainly not "alternative medicine".   First off,
Ray Audette is not a medical practitioner.   Secondly, since the Paleolithic
Diet was the standard diet over 99.99% of the existence of the human race, it is
not "alternative"...

--
Cheers,

Ken                         <*>