From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2008 07:53:10 -0400
On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 16:52 Dave Fobare wrote:

>This might be a good time to note that Dr deVany is hosting a seminar in
>Vegas in the middle of May. Details at:
>
>http://www.arthurdevany.com
>
>Will you be there Keith?

Hi, Dave. If I lived in the US I might, but I won't be flying
across the world. Also, I find myself diverging from Art
as time goes by.

Specifically, I find the Evolutionary Fitness message to
be very simple: live, eat, be active ("exercise" in 21st
century language) as if you were living in the late
Pleistocene. Now that's not wholly possible, so we all
have to compromise somewhere, and it's where we each
choose not to compromise that marks us out.

I believe mental approach is as important as physiology and
in this respect I count myself as closer to "Deep Ecology",
that is those who act to preserve the Pleistocene qualities
of nature and who oppose those who would destroy them.
I can't see how we can have healthy people if the planet
is not also healthy, and I am very concerned about the
coming confluence of climate change (which Art is skeptical
about), peak oil, economic recession/depression, the end
of antibiotics, human over-population, soil degradation and
food security. So I draw inspiration from the writings of
Derrick Jensen, John Zerzan, Jay Hanson, Pentti Linkola,
John Gray and Theodore Kaczynsky, but I am not a
follower of any. These writers' books are not on Art De
Vany's bookshelves!

But Art is far more comfortable in the Anthropocene than
I am and he justifies his approach by physiological science
- brilliantly and innovatively applied. It's true that I am
changing more than Art is, and one way I am changing is
that I don't need any physiological science to back up the
Evolutionary Fitness principle. One difference between us
which exemplifies our different approaches is his reference
to the importance of "correct form" in exercises; I have
come to regard "correct form" as a 21st century idea and
not one people would have thought about in the Pleistocene.
"Correct form" is what people do when they exercise in a
gym, not when they are living an active life. My workouts
will have "poor form"; I do exercise to failure and, despite
Art saying "It's so easy", I find it damned hard work;
it's also fun, demanding and unusual.

A few years ago in my mid-fifties a man about 25 years
younger than me asked "How come you don't exercise like
anyone else in the gym, but you haave the best body in the
gym?" The answer is in the question, of course. I find myself
having a philosophy of life closer to Ray Audette's - possibly
because our incomes are, I would guess, about the same -
another reason why I won't be travelling to the USA for
Art's seminar.

I won't go on here as this is straying a bit OT.

However, I am looking forward to the DVD Art mentions.
I'm sure there is much there I'll learn - and willingly apply,
despite what I have written above. I see he's doing EF
for women and EF for children - great!

Keith