From:
"Balzer, Ben" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 08:03:16 +1000
Hi Olly,
there is a real problem here. I tend to agree with Ken that olive oil is in
and canola is out. Cordain likes canola as it is a good source of LNA (alpha
linolenic acid) the C18 omega 3. Unfortunately, it is also high in LA (omega
6 C18).

PROBLEM is that the enzyme delta-6-desaturase D6DS which acts on LA and LNA
early in the essential fatty acid (EFA) pathway ALSO acts later on to
produce DHA the brain-essential fat. Thus excess amounts of either can clog
up D6DS and block production of DHA. This enzyme has to work double duty-
not many enzymes do- it is one of the most unwieldy and clunky pathways in
biochemistry, yet one of the most important in our physiology. No wonder
omega issues are so important to health.

SOLUTION is twofold. Firstly keep your intake of shorter (C18) fats LA and
LNA to levels recommended by ISSFAL www.issfal.org.uk  less than 6.67 g of
LA and probably 1 to 2 g of LNA (look it up). Secondly get good sources of
longer chain EFA's like DHA EPA and AA directly in the diet (i.e. don't rely
on your liver to make them from vegetable sources)- get them from fish,
liver (or brains if you want to be really Paleo), and only take grass fed
meat. Taking canola makes it easy to exceed the recommended level for LA.

THIS MEANS that you should control your omega 6/3 ratio at two levels- the
short chain (plant food) and long chain (animal food).

THUS olive oil is the go, and canola is a long way behind but is second
best. Olive oil, if cold pressed extra virgin or virgin, is high in natural
antioxidants. Canola is solvent extracted and that destroys its
antioxidants, so they add preservatives instead- yuk!

Fallon's reviews are a bit over the top. She says Simopoulos shouldn't write
about oils because she is a pediatrician and Cordain shouldn't because he is
an exercise physiologist. Seems to forget that she herself is an arts
graduate! Of course, universities only teach party line propaganda on
nutrition so who cares what background they have, let their books stand on
their own merits! Fallon is so illogical that it makes an interesting study
in illogic- I think she relies on the type of illogic called "ignoratio
elenchi" where one attempts to disprove something by disproving something
unrelated! (used every day in politics).

Cheers
Ben