Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 05:55:39 -0400
Isaac Wedin asked:
I wonder how breastfeeding varies between rich and poor countries?

In poorer counters they have historically had higher rates of breast
feeding--they couldn't afford formula and weren't exposed to it until the
American missionaries came in pushing it.  Bad idea as we know.  There's
more chance of infection and error in third world countries when they have
to mix formula and H20; some couldn't read, didn't mix it right, etc.  And
the formulas never have everything found in breast milk.

In richer countries, women can "afford" to ship their kids off to day care,
baby sitters, etc.  They are more likely to return to work to maintain a
certain standard of living or to improve it for the sake of their children.
The # of women who breast feed in the U.S. is very low and the number who
keep doing it after 3 months is extremely low.  Breast feeding for a year or
more is less common, though I know mom's who have and I have commended
them!!

We hear about a lot of kids who cannot tolerate this or that formula.....who
have this and that allergy....and of women who do not want to breast feed,
though their husbands wish they would.  Sad state of affairs!  Just look
around and the faces, dentition and bone structure of the current
generation.

Rachel

Rambling....