Date:
Wed, 28 May 1997 06:54:24 -0700
At 07:38 PM 5/27/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I was looking up some health-related stuff for my dog (she has giardia
>again, dammit -- can't keep her nose out of those puddles!) and came across
>a web site that said that giardia and celiac disease are often
>mis-diagnosed for each other (in humans, that is).  The interesting thing
>was that the site (yes, I forgot to copy the URL) said that Scotland has an
>unusually high incidence of celiac disease.
>
>Molly, my thought is that this ties in with our discussions on another list
>about whether the Scots/Irish were pastoral, but not primarily agricultural
>in the sense of living on large amounts of grain/starches, until quite
>recently.  (I'm not gonna post it there, for fear of stirring another flame
>war about vegetarianism!)
>
>Anyone have an idea of what the incidence of celiac is in Scotland or
>Ireland is, compared with, say, the Mediterranean?  The web site I was
>visiting was primarily talking about giardia, not celiac, so no stats were
>listed.  Just curious.
>
>Corbie

Very interesting post, actually Don Wiss has some information about Irish
and celiac disease. Seems that the Irish (and Irish Americans) have one of
the highest levels of gluten intolerance in the world. Check out his web
site, there is also an article by Lutz that discusses the Irish and celiac
disease..