From:
Johnny Battle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 09:54:30 -0700
http://irweb.swmed.edu/newspub/newsdetl.asp?story_id=411

I suspect that for millenia our ancestors ate lean meat and body organs
during times when game was plentiful (most of the time). They probably
roasted this over open fires, causing even more of the fat to drip/burn
away. The rest of the carcass, including the fat,  they would leave for
the dogs. In times of  famine, they would eat the entire carcass and
make use of the higher calorie content of the fat, but even then there
would not have been a huge amount of fat, just a higher percentage.

This fits, of course, with the Cordain version of Paleolithic diet
rather than the Neanderthin version.

John B