From:
Bernard Lischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 May 1999 23:06:41 -0700
Ken.....  About mercury fillings, small amounts of mercury vapor are
released every time you chew your food, so what you have is a chronic,
though mild, murcury exposure.  I think that in most ways our bodies are
best adapted to deal with acute stresses, so maybe one brief blast of
mercury vapor is preferable to several small doses on a daily basis for
years on end.  This is why some paleo-dieters rotate their food choices, so
as to avoid chronic exposure to potential toxins in individual foods.
     My dentist, a professor at the UCLA school of dentistry, told me that
if I was worried about the vapor from my fillings I might consider eating
plenty of garlic and onions, wich are great chelators (bond to heavy metals
so the body can get rid of them).  Garlic and onions fit the paleo WOE, but
some people don't like them, or at least not every day.  I'm thinking about
getting my fillings out and just OD-ing on garlic and onions for a few days.
However, I really must add that, although my dentist was sympathetic toward
my concern on this issue, he doubted in general that mercury removal would
make any difference health-wise.  More of a peace of mind thing... but I'm
doing it anyway.

Good luck,

BEL