From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jul 2011 19:28:52 -0700
Religion first arose when man domesticated the dog through a process called neoteny.  This new partnership ( or symbiosis) allowed one man with six dogs to out-hunt twenty men without dogs.  It made a completely different sorts of hunting weapons useful ( light throwing weapons, atladles, bows,slings etc.) This also allowed them to safely hunt species that were not commonly hunted before.  We needed to learn the behaviors of these new food sources and pass this knowledge to our children.  Thus was born Totemic religion, the first religion of mankind.  When people ask my religion I always say Falconry ( praise Horus!).

To this day, religion still expresses a symbiotic theme.  Grapes and wheat (bread and wine) were the body and blood of the Mediterranean world.  Without them civilization could not survive.  We must adopt rules that foster them.

Here's an article about how the invention of the plow led to lifetime monogamy and the idealization of female chastity;

May 1990 Scientific American
John C. Caldwell and Pat Caldwell
High Fertility in Sub-Saharan Africa . .

Here's an article about how the domestication of the camel allowed Islam to conquer the world;

http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/197303/why.they.lost.the.wheel.htm

More can also be learned through the works of Paul Shepard;

	* The Tender Carnivore and the Sacred Game. New York: Scribners, 1973.
	* Thinking Animals: Animals and the Development of Human Intelligence. New York: The Viking Press, 1978.
	* The Sacred Paw: The Bear in Nature, Myth, and Literature New York: The Viking Press, 1985.
	* The Others: How Animals Made Us Human. Washington, D. C.: Island Press/Shearwater Books, 1996.
	* Traces of an Omnivore. Washington, D. C.: Island Press/Shearwater Books, 1996.
	* Coming Home to the Pleistocene Florence R. Shepard (Ed.) Washington D.C.: Island Press/Shearwater Books, 1998.
	* Encounters With Nature: Essays by Paul Shepard. Florence R. Shepard (Ed.) Washington, D.C: Island Press/Shearwater Books, 1999.

As my diabetes was totally controlled through diet before I got a full workup, Dr. Bernstein said I was probally Type 2.  He also said that Type 1 diabetes patients typically could reduce insulin doses by 80% through a NeanderThin diet.
Here's his book;

Bernstein, M.D., Richard K.,
Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution.
Little, Brown & Co.: New York, 1997.

Ray Audette
Author "NeanderThin"

A couple more questions for you, Ray, if you don't mind:

Where did you learn about the evolutionary advantage of religion (specific article(s) or book(s))? This is a topic of interest to me. Nassim Taleb is a nontheist who believes religion still has value and took the pro-religion side of a debate with anti-religion nontheists (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jTzyj36XiA). My hunch is that most of the problems with religion have to do with Neolithic versions (aka "organized religion"), and not so much with Stone Age versions.

A friend has inquired about your book. In the book you didn't specify which type of diabetes you had, though you mentioned that your physician told you that you would have to take insulin when you were initially diagnosed, which suggests type 1. Could you confirm for me whether you had type 1 or type 2?

Thanks,
Phil