From:
R Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 19:45:12 -0700
Candida is a comensal (a normal co-inhabitant of the colon).  Its only when
it overgrows the "good" bacteria and spills into the small intestine that
it, and the "bad" bacteria, become a problem.  Candida overgrowth can be
caused by assaults such as antibiotics.

Unlike the "good" bacteria, candida and the "bad" bacteria produce numerous
toxins as part of their digestive process.  These toxins can be absorbed
through the villi of the small intestine, into the blood stream.  The
irritation these toxins cause to the wall of the small intestine can cause
leaky gut, in which larger "chunks" of macronutrients can be absorbed into
the bloodstream, sometimes setting off an autoimmune reaction (our immune
system views them as "foreign invaders").

The worst "chunks" include problematic proteins like those in grains and
legumes because these mimic the surface of some body glands/organs.  Instead
of just attacking the "foreign invaders", the macrophages and other warriors
of the immune system attack our organs and glands too.

Fungal toxins from foods such as grains (mycotoxins, such as aflotoxin) are
primarily liver toxins.

Candida and the "bad" bacteria love sugar and anything that quickly turns to
sugar (high glycemic carbohydrates).  When you eat sugar, you're feeding
your little buddies -the candida.

Rob