From:
Craig Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 09:37:32 -0400
Ben wrote:

>it's often puzzled me why Westerners find organ meats repulsive, yet they
>are so prized by traditional societies and were staples of our grandparents.

I don't find them "repulsive" in the squeamish sense; I just
really, really dislike the taste.  I can take liver in a nice
terrine, but when it's sautéed or cooked in other ways, it's too
intense, too...vile.  And I've had a similar reaction to the
other organ meats I've tried, though I'll grant that I haven't
made too valiant an attempt at liking them.

>Also, you've fallen into the biggest Paleo diet trap- which is to make it a
>diet where you focus totally on the exclusions (grains bean potatoes sugar
>salt yeast dairy), and ignore the areas you need to emphasise (organ meats,
>marrow, root vegetables, maybe even mineral water).

I think you're making a huge generalization here---telling me
that my dietary focus is flawed---from one statement about
disliking the taste of organ meats.  And you certainly don't have
any basis for saying that I ignore an emphasis on root vegetables
or mineral water; in this case, that's patently untrue.

.:. Craig