From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 06:25:54 -0500
On Sun, 20 May 2001 10:01:12 -0700, R Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

><<Sugar is 89% correlated with deaths due to heart attacks. That's what's
>wrong with sugar. And 91% correlated with deaths due to breast cancer.>>

>HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW: Sugar is not inherently a dietary villain.
>The
>statistical relationships of sugar intake with the rest of the diet were
>small and probably not biologically meaningful. Most of us probably eat too
>much sugar,

I agree in general, but....

> but the body cannot tell the difference between added sugars
>and
>naturally occurring sugars in foods.

Here is a difference the body is able to tell:

Sugar is devoid of the coenzymes which are necessary to break it down in
the Citric Acid Cycle, glycolysis and the mitochondria.
(see one cell energy site at:
http://cellbio.utmb.edu/cellbio/mitochondria_1.htm )
This are the necessary means to get cell energy out of it.
The remaining pathway is the pathway to fat.

Some of this coenzymes are proven to be essential:
thiamin, riboflavin, biotin...
And these vitamins are not just unchanged catalysts.
They do wear off and are used up, as coenzymes.
Others substances are considered "helpful" like CoenzymeQ10 and alpha lipoic
acid. Because the body can make them (but at whitch cost?)
However they are not available from sugar and similar processed food items.

All these substances  naturally occur in all natural sources of
carbohydrates in a well *proportional* amount.
But not in sugar, not in white bread (and honey isn't natural in this aspect
too).

If you eat any amount of sugar, the body can use it only by taking away the
energy coenzymes from other, natural sources. That same amount of sugar is
left to be converted to fat.

It would be logical that the body developped insulin resistance in the case
of depletion of the energy coenzymes - if the glycolysis step cannot occur.
And only the fat cells are left to take care of blood sugar.

Todd onve said that it would be easy to supplement the vitamins and
vitaminoids. That's right, as far as the synthetical vitamins serve the same
purpose. However the natural compositions would include natural active
versions (particularly of b2) plus CoQ10 and alpha lipoic acid.
And probably some more we haven't explored in such detail so far.

regards

Amadeus
"all energy in humans is cell energy"