From:
Mike MacLeod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 23:15:11 -0700
>>>Only Nature is able to increase fertility and top soil !  with the Natural
>>>way of farming presented by Masanobu Fukuoka which we can approach that at
>>>the most.
>>
>>My friend and I had a house with a 8mx10m back yard.  In the two years we
>>lived there, we were able to create 20cm of topsoil by composting the
>>kitchen garbage regularly and working it into the existing soil. To say
>>that it was fertile is an understatement. Many seeds survived in the
>>compost, and we had corn, melons, cucumbers, poppies, sweet peas, chard,
>>squash, and many other plants all trying to grow in the same space, with
>>megatonnes of cherry tomatoes. It was a madhouse, but great fun.
>
>i understand that putting compost is increasing the top soil but at the
>expense of other soils from which your kitchen waste were taken from .
>My statement was talking on a global perspective !
>When you took over your land the fertility have been compromised to say the
>least ( bulldozing,  deforestation, may be tilled for many years ....) so
>bringing compost was a quick way to restore some fertility. by bringing more
>than you loose in the tilling.
>so i will restate by saying that,  only nature is able to increase top soil
>without having to steal the biomass from somewhere else.
>
>There is no time or space to not want to adress the root of  the global loss
>of biomass ,fixing problems created by tiling is not going to be enough. We
>have to question our interferences into the natural fertilisation process.
>jean-claude

So it may be, but service to life is service to Life. I've never seen
happier cherry tomatoes, and they cheered me up a great deal.

My friends recommend that we worry about our own back yards first. Consider
the story of the fellow in the south of France who reforested kilometres of
the countryside on his own, a tree at a time - what a back yard he had.

Mike