From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 11:36:12 -0500
>That's very helpful.  I have ADD (no H), and while paleo helps with its
more grievous symptoms, it doesn't cure it.

I am 35 years old and have had ADD issues which years ago involved
treatment with Ritalin and psychotherapy.  I decided during my junior year
in college that I would stop the Ritalin, stop seeing the doctor, and
attempt to control the symptoms with diet.  So I cut out sugar and caffeine
and limited alcohol consumption.  Know what?  That got me half way there, a
bargain I was willing to live with in order to avoid the Ritalin.  (Even
though I wasn't completely "normal" from an ability to focus standpoint,
half way was a long way from where I started).  It wasn't until I started
eating paleo three years ago that I got the other half and more.  I am now
as focused and content as I was when I took the Ritalin but I have all the
other physical benefits of paleo: lack of bloating, even-keel energy levels
throughout the day, etc.

I know for a fact that, physiologically, eating paleo actually DOES cure
ADD.  Your situation probably has to do with the fact that you've gone so
many years as a person with ADD that you've probably not behaviorally
adjusted to the new chemistry.  Add to that the fact that the ADD person
tends to surround themselves with other ADD folks who don't exactly provide
good models for behavior and it can be tough to drop some of the symptoms.

Jim Swayze