From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 17:40:18 +0200
Recently I heard about a drug that helps against insulin resistance.
It does so by increasing the number of insulin receptors per cell,
therefore increasing insulin sensitivity.
This would lead to lower insulin levels.
Which in turn could be expected to prevent the many ill effects of high
insulin levels, like "bad" prostaglandin production.
I did a search on metformin and it appears that that's one of this drugs.
Can you confirm that?

CR could work in the same way (prolonged low insulin levels).

Fine. There's one thing for me to worry about: why on earthe *does* the
cell lower the count of insulin receptors? (Leading to the ill effects)
Is it only that no proper fatty acids, like 18:3, are available to make
the cell walls permeable enough?
Or is it that the cell wants to protect itself against beeing flooded by
nutrients (mainly glucose) while not beeing able to really use it
(possible for example by a lack of energy vitamins like thiamin or alpha
linilenic acid)?

While the drug may be not the ideal thing on the long term, a dietary
regime which leads to low insulin production should be preferred.
Like paleo.
Or, for a beginning, like limiting the biggest insulin raisers.
White potatoes, sugar, white flour products.
..

regards

Amadeus
( http://www.geocities.com/paleolix/#insulin )