Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 2009 17:52:56 -0400
I feed prey model raw to my dog which consists of raw meat, meaty bones,
and organ meat. (I never feed ground anything unless there is a huge
sale on it like 10 cents a pound or something<smile>)  He is in great
health and doesn't care for any grain products like bread etc.  If a
vegetable is dropped on the floor he could care less...it gets left
there.  Otto is a self regulator and just yesterday left his hunk of
bone in pork sitting until I put it back in the refrigerator.  He ate it
this afternoon when it was offered.  He will eat normally then not eat
for a day, I have come to ignore it and just let him eat if he is hungry
and if he isn't he waits for the next day.  I feed once per day, twice
when he was younger and a growing puppy.  Otto has gone from 2.5 to 3
lbs per day to 1.5 to 2 lbs. of meat per day now that he is 2.5 yrs
old.  His body is not growing as quickly now so he doesn't need the
amount of food he previously did.  I gage his food intake by the feel of
his ribs and/or his activity levels.  If he has clocked 20 to 30 miles
in the last couple days I will up the amount I feed to accommodate the
activity levels.

Dogs are carnivores but most dogs act as obligate carnivores in that
they will eat what is available to them.  So they will consume species
inappropriate foods even though their bodies will not be able to absorb
the nutrients from them.  Their dentition and digestive systems are that
of a carnivore and the DNA evidence says they are the same as a Grey
Wolf whether they are a Chihuahua or a German Shepherd Dog or a Great
Dane.  Man has manipulated the physical appearance of our canine friends
but it doesn't change what they are biologically.

In the wild wolves hunt their prey and gorge on as much food as they can
consume if they bring down a large animal.  They then may not eat for a
week until the next hunt is successful.  Different times of the year
make hunting easier or harder.  Recently watching a documentary on
Yellowstone it was shown that the winter is the wolves season for
hunting success.  The weather helps cull out the weak and ill animals
and the wolves take advantage of that.  Another thing I have read
elsewhere is that a wolf will eat species inappropriate foods also, say
for example they have not eaten and come upon an apple grove with apples
laying on the ground.  They will eat the apples, any food to keep from
starving, even though their digestive systems are not built to optimally
absorb the nutrients from those apples they will help stave off starvation.

My Otto will eat cooked meat.  Dogs sense of smell is so strong and
cooked food has a different odor so they are attracted to it.  I have
never tried offering both cooked and raw at the same time because cooked
meat is something that is rare and a treat when it happens (for the dog
not me). The stray morsel from my plate etc., or a hamburger at a
picnic.  Vegetables are non existent in his diet...he won't touch them.
He will chew new grass occasionally for a few blades but he isn't
grazing and eating any amount of it.   I am sure if I would give Otto a
chunk of raw beef and a chunk of cooked beef he would eat both.

*If only I had the willpower to keep to my diet as well as my dogs do.*
<smile>  Feeding prey model raw to my dogs over the years has allowed me
to control epilepsy in a dog, and grain/food allergies in another.  Even
though dogs or wolves will eat some inappropriate food items...I doubt
anyone has ever seen a wolf strolling through a corn or wheat field
enjoying a meal of wheat or corn.  Like us humans eating what we are
meant to eat is better for us the same goes for our dogs, cats, ferrets,
and birds.  There are many people who like me after dealing with
multiple health issues with their animals have switched to a raw diet
and found improvement.  Raw is not a cure all for our dogs, if there is
a health issue it may not cure it but you can't beat allowing the dog to
be in the best health it can be in by making sure their diet is what
they were born to consume.

Sorry if this is to long and off topic.

Sincerely,
Lynn and Otto