From:
Paul Sand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 10:37:26 +0200
>From: Craig Coonrad <[log in to unmask]>
>I've heard from several random sources in the past week that a
>"high protein diet is bad for the kidneys."
>
>Obviously too much of anything is bad for you...but I know nothing about
>this and suspect it is fear, uncerctainy and doubt being spread by the
>"carbohydrate establishment." :)
>
>Does anyone have anything to say on this?
>
>thanks,
>Craig

A while ago I spent a lot of time trying to find any studies which show
adverse effects of high protein diet on kidneys or liver. The results found:
0.

If you have sufficient amounts of fat or carbs (or combination of both) high
protein intake shouldn't be a problem.
If you try to live on a lean protein alone you get sick befor you develope
symptoms of kidney failure.

I know a few bodybuilders who are on a very high protein diets for years now
and show no signs of kidney failure.

The major argument is that protein is bad because it makes kidney and liver
to work harder. Of course it's true but maybe they are supposed to work that
hard.
Look what happens to digestion process of frutarians. After a while they are
not able to digest anything.

Paul Sand