From:
Marilyn Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 06:49:56 -0400
>http://www.aces.uiuc.edu/~nutrican/tables/Pinksalmon.html
>
>Bumble Bee is a brand in the USA afaik.

Hi Peter;

I am concerned about the sodium content of canned salmon;

                Fresh   Canned  BB
Sodium (mg)     73      470.9   405

USDA Nutrient Database;

Finfish, salmon, pink, canned, without salt, solids with bone and liquid
(100 g + can [454 g])

Sodium, Na  mg  75      340.500

Finfish, salmon, pink, cooked, dry heat (100 mg)

Sodium, Na  mg  86

Finfish, salmon, pink, canned, solids with bone and liquid (100 g + can [454])

Sodium, Na  mg  554     2512.944

I don't know the sample size in from your URL - it says the sodium content
is 75 which should, according to the USDA database, mean that it could be
around 100 mg. I would assume that the sample sizes should be the same for
the different categories in your URL so that one can compare. If that's the
case, then canned salmon including Bumble Bee brand add salt (since,
according to USDA data, sodium levels do not rise because of the canning
process itself).

I wonder what the percent is to produce that level and whether that percent
is similar to what Gold Seal quoted.

Marilyn