From:
"Balzer, Ben" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 10:44:40 +1000
For something easier to follow see
http://www.victorherbert.com/EB2001II.htm
Loss Of Recent Memory (Where In The Parking Lot Is My Car? etc.) In Persons
Age >50 Is Often Unrecognized Subtle Vitamin B12 Deficiency, Producing
Inadequate Synthesis Of New Brain Cells, But No Anemia

Herbert also wrote an excellent comprehensive chapter on B12 in "Current
Knowledge in Nutrition" 7ed." about 12 pages. Someone else wrote the B12
chapter in the 8th ed which I haven't read.

Herbert is about 74 years old and was one of the pioneers of B12 research
and is still a leader.

The article you quoted seems very good, with one exception- saying "Vitamin
B12 deficiency in
industrialized countries is rare." This is hogwash- it is very common, and
very serious and under-recognised. I haven't read the full article but the
references are excellent which is always a good sign. I know Hokin who is
one of the refs.

B12 malabsorption is also caused by stomach acid lowering drugs such as
Prilosec and Zantac. All reduce its absorption by 70%. The longest follow up
studies are 6 years and only measured B12 NOT the active form TC2-B12. This
is probably being studies at present (now that the TC2-B12 assay is simpler
and cheaper). I think everyone taking these drugs needs to be advised that
they reduce B12 absorption as a matter of informed consent (the legal
process of any treatment), and they can choose to take a B12 supplement if
they wish to (I know I would).

Another good way to wipe out all your B12 in one go is to have a general
anaesthetic or do laughing gas at the dentists- this wipes out all you B12
very quickly by affecting the cobalt component. Anaesthetists don't
recommend B12 as a routine but it certainly doesn't hurt!

>If you like to read about b12, now it's a PDF,
>http://veganoutreach.org/health/B122002.pdf

>Amadeus

Ben Balzer