Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 18:07:48 -0400
Sheryl,
Soaking and drying nuts as Sally Fallon advises certainly makes them tasty.
Unfortunately, Fallon adds salt, which makes nuts very "more-ish" and can
stimulate people to eat even more than if the nuts were unsalted.  (Aren't
they already exciting enough to our taste buds? :-)) Even when soaked and
dried, the nuts can still cause digestive problems, acne, or inflammatory
problems for those who are sensitive....and an omega 6 to omega 3 imbalance
for anyone who eats them in generous amounts.

From what I've read, nuts were much smaller even 100 years ago.  Also, If
you had to crack each nut open with a nut cracker, you probably would not
eat as many, right? Delicious as nuts are, our modern ones are best used in
small amounts.  Portioned out, rather than eaten by the hand or cupful,
particularly if you know they aggravate your condition and that you have a
hard time stopping....

With all foods, we can look at quality, quantity, and context in a diet.
Some things that are beneficial in small amounts are unbalancing in large
amounts or if poor quality products are consumed (such as commercially
roasted nuts, often in oil, and poor quality oil at that, salted, or stored
for long periods out of the refrigerator....which makes them rancid).

Since you know that nuts aggravate your colitis, make you "break out in
fat", etc.  It may be wise to eliminate all nuts (except perhaps coconut and
coconut milk, which have a different composition than other nuts and may
actually help your condition).

Sheryl said:
>>>I wish I weighed 125 pounds soaking wet.  I also wish I was still averaging
>>100 grams of carbs per day (or less).  I was doing it for a while, but my
>>average has gone up, and my weight has gone up with it.  I've been eating
tons of fruit and nuts.  It's so tempting in the summer.

Reply:
It is likely that it's the nuts (and excess calories) more than the fruit
that has caused you to gain weight, unless you are also eating large amount
of additional fat, which would further cause you to way overshoot your daily
energy needs.  It's possible to eat fruit several times a day and be slim!
If you cut out the nuts, keep your fat and calorie intake more in line with
your energy needs, and eat generous amounts of fibrous veggies and some lean
protein at each meal, it is possible to have your fruit and eat it to (and
weigh less than 125 pounds!

Rachel