From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 21:59:22 -0600
caroline radway wrote:

> What foods contain oxalates - I have developed an addiction to almonds and
> berries - mainly because they are so delicious - I hope I dont have to give
> these up too...  I can easily eat 100-150g nuts per day.

It's a pretty big list, and there is some disagreement on some items.

Undisputed high: chocolate, black tea, all berries, (I Love berries!),
beets/greens,
   spinach, sorrel, celery, chard, all soy products, popcorn, almonds, pecans,
figs, peanuts,
   cashews, walnuts, large amounts of spices such as cinnamon or ginger, all
dried beans,
   green beans, citrus peels, watercress, kiwi, and the winner and all-time
champion: rhubarb!

There are lists of medium foods, and disputed lists too, but I'm not being
"religious" about it.  You can go nuts that way.  But knowing about this gives
me that
extra push to avoid chocolate, popcorn, nuts, peanuts, and berries, all of
which I can
easily binge on every day.  I believe that oxalate problems are uncommon if not
rare,
though they do have a genetic component.  Most people eat these foods all the
time,
and don't have a problem.  But a few have trouble getting rid of the oxalates,
like a few
people who have gout have trouble getting rid of the urates.

    Lynnet