From:
"Everyone @ As If Productions" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 2006 12:31:22 -0500
At 11:53 AM 4/22/06 -0400, SUBSCRIBE PALEOFOOD Anonymous wrote:
>Breakfast is still hard to get used to.

Eggs are still great food and you can add any kind of meat to them, and
throw in some raw or lightly-cooked veggies/herbs, then pour the drippings
from the meat over the whole thing.  Or use organic butter if you're
"neolithic" - actually it's not very hard to make your own butter from
whole (omega3!) cream, so it's an easy way to get a lot of yummy fat calories.

>I am also eating a lot of butternut and acorn squash, which helps me
>overcome the potato/pasta loss.

I don't know about acorn squash, but you go easy on that butternut, it's a
definite trade-off.  Great source of potassium (which is always appreciated
on a high-protein diet), but you're looking at 90% simple carbs and 6g of
sugar == a high glycemic load.  And people tend to put sugar on butternut
squash, while the potato gets salt.  Health-wise, you'd be better off
eating the potato (88% carbs and 2g sugar).

>Question about the best substitute for flour when browning meat.

I feel a rant coming on <g>...

There is no substitute for flour.  There is no substitute for sugar.  That
(plus how cheap they are) is why modern people USE these poisonous
substances.  But face it straight up: NO primitive alternatives will have
the same effects you are used to, and no primitive peoples ever *wanted* to
do that to their food.  If you're truly stuck there, you're not right for
this way of living - and it is a way of *living*, not a way of *losing
weight*.  The cooking techniques you are trying to emulate are even more
recent than the processing of grains themselves.  Get used to the fact that
your food WILL look and taste very different, if you're doing it
right.  But it's not at all hard to get used to - in fact it's the most
natural thing in the world - to reject poisonous plant products and enjoy
fatty meat, marrow, soups, eggs, raw vegetables & fruits.

Until you begin looking at food differently, you're just going to be trying
to substitute everything in your SAD diet with paleo replacements, which
will never work to your western dietary satisfaction.  Which means you
won't enjoy it, you won't stick to it, and your time will be wasted.

When the butcher thinks you're weird because you always ask for the
fattiest cut ...
When you look at a potato and think "only in case of starvation" ...
When you look at a twinkie and think "poison" ...
You're on your way.

- Sisyphus & Zoe

GettingPrimitive.com - A Natural Inquiry
the new web joint from as if productions
http://www.gettingprimitive.com