From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2001 18:12:22 -0400
Judy Genova wrote:

>The butcher threw in all the cut slabs of pig fat.
>My question is, what now?

I'd render it into lard. The below excerpted from a post to
rec.food.cooking by Jerry De Angelis, but it doesn't really deal with your
situation.

Buy a fresh side of pork, cut it into strips, place the strips in a large
casserole to which you have added about 1/4 inch of water, then bake in a
250 degree oven for 2-4 hours. During this time drain the liquid from the
side of pork, and place it in a stainless steel bowl. Once all the fat is
cooked out of the side, place the covered bowl in the refrigerator. Leave
it overnight. The oil and water will separate (water on the bottom). Turn
the bowl over onto a large platter or baking dish and scrape off the water
and any residue. Cut off the very bottom - which will now be on top as you
have turned the container - and cut about 1/4 inch off horizontally. Discard.

Melt it gently in a pan, put into canning bottles and freeze it for use.

[end of excerpt]

Maybe just follow the way we render suet for pemmican? And once rendered,
it is no longer raw, and I see no reason why you couldn't use it for pemmican.

Don.