Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 09:35:09 -0400
Hi Clelia,

<<For the past week I have been having a lot of bladder problems; I have
been
on a salt free diet for a number of years now because of water retention,
now the problem is worse than ever.  I would appreciate your help.>>

This tells me that your kidneys are not functioning properly.  This is a
common result of the SAD.  What does your diet consist of now?  Do you eat
pre-packaged foods?  Frozen foods?  Do you drink soft drinks?  Normally, how
much water do you drink a day?  When a person is chronically dehydrated, the
body tends to hoard fluids for a period of time until a balance is achieved.
Unfortunately, most people feel uncomfortable and decrease their intake of
water.  Adding a lemon wedge to water sometimes helps in flushing it through
by creating a more balanced PH.

Some other questions would be - do you suffer any back pain? Have you ever
had any back problems?  Have you previously experienced  the problem you're
having now?  If so, is this any different from any other time, and if so,
how is it different?  Does your urine ever have an ammonia-like odor to it?

What led you to the Paleo list?  What type of carbohydrates do you eat?
Have you ever been diagnosed a being hypoglycemic or having diabetes (type
2)?  How about hypertension?  Are you aware of having or ever having any
hormonal irregularities?

Is the pain in your right knee generalized or does it manifest on the right,
left, front, back, or center of your knee?

Have you ever been diagnosed as having any heart problems?  Do you have any
chronic or recurring conditions?  Do you have varicose veins?

<<When I get up in the morning I have almost no symptoms, after having my
sip of water at breakfast the discomfort (bloating, feeling of a full
bladder)
starts.  I do pass water but the bladder is remains full.  There is no sign
of a bladder infection from what I can tell (not burning or discoloration of
the urine).>>

Is this the first time you've ever experienced this?

<<If I eat anything with salt the discomfort gets unbearable, plus I get
terrible pain in my right knee.  At first I associated the knee pain to my
daily walk (at least 10 miles per day 5 days a week) then I decided to drink
Fennel tea (which is a diuretic) at meal time and in between meals (the pain
in the knee is more bearable unless I eat something salty).   At times the
knee pain is so excruciating that I can't even take a step or bend it
without having the tears roll down my cheeks.>>

If you answer my questions above, I will have a fairly good idea about
what's happening in your body.

Siobhan