From:
Bernard Lischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 18:17:56 -0700
Amadeus wrote:

>calves. Since calves live ON milk the stomaches should mostly include
>milk parts (coagulated= fresh cheese). That's a difference to
>tomatoes, paprica, corn (new world food) and fish.
>These food items *are* inexistent as food
>in paleolithic times, aren't they?.
>
>I don't speak about the amounts found. But stomach contents should
>be comparable in volume to brain or marrow, for example.

I actually think that it's possible that rennet-cheese was consumed less
frequently than wild grass seeds (thought to have been eaten in times of
desperation).  This not because of it's immediate inedibility (like grass
seeds) but because of its inavailability.  I outlined some arguments for
this in detail in a posting a few weeks ago.

As for comparing brain/marrow to "stomach contents," the brain and marrow
are inevidible (and energy dense) items.  In other words, every kill
contains them, and they were undoubtably utilized every time.  Stomach
capacity, or volume, means nothing if it is empty.  Seasonality and brevity
of lactation, whether or not the calf has nursed, and whether or not calves
were killed preferentially (wich I question as a rule) are a few of the
factors that enter into this.

>I'd be interested to hear what *your* misgivings about eggs are
>(i dont want them too).
>Egg white contains a protective chemical (hindering protein
>digestion).

Raw egg white contains very powerful antinutrients that block absorbtion of
biotin, iron and other micronutrients in the body, and could cause SERIOUS
illness if eaten regularly (see link below).  Therfore, eggs are not edible
raw, wich makes me wary of them just as I am wary of any raw-inedible item.

Basically, though, I eat eggs only occasionally for the same reason that I
eat fruit only occasionally.... it is a seasonal item, and my body is not
likely to be adapted to chronic dietary levels.  Eggs are even more seasonal
than fruit in that they cannot be dried and stored.  I, personally, tend to
put on weight with daily fruit consumtion, so the choice there is obvious
for me.  The deleterious effect of eggs might be more subtle.

http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9704&L=paleodiet&P=R813