From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 06:02:57 +0000
>Those practices are low risk.  An experienced sushi chef can look at fish and
>tell if is safe to eat by texture smell etc.  I have never eaten steak tartar
>however I think it is thin strips of meat with some kind of acid fruit sauce
>that reduces bacteria.
>Again it is all about calculated risk
>-David

Steak tartare is lean ground beef, no sauce, served with a raw egg and
assorted garnishes such as capers, chopped onion, etc. It's served all over
in France, not just in fancy places. Lots of calculated risk.

The sushi chef judges freshness and thereby cleanliness. No sushi fish
would ever be even close to spoiled; it's a case of fresh and fresher, to
the point of being alive when prepared in some instances.

ginny

All stunts performed without a net!