From:
Mike MacLeod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 01:53:55 -0700
>Hi everyone.  I am new to the list and have a couple of questions.  I
>heard about Neanderthin from another low carb list.  I have quite a bit
>of weight to lose and also want to improve my overall health.  I was
>just diagnosed with candidiasis, and my doctor told me to cut out dairy,
>vinegar, alcohol, along with all of the other high carb foods that I
>already avoid.  I was told by a friend that the Neanderthin diet is the
>way to go.  I am going to get the book today.  I was wondering if you
>all think that is the best place to start, and I would appreciate any
>suggestions to get me going.  I think it will be hard, especially at
>first, to eliminate dairy.  I love cheese, but it seems to wreak havoc
>on my body.  Thanks in advance for any info.
>
>Jennifer

Welcome, Jennifer.  I have only been on the Paleodiet three weeks, but I
have lost about 15 pounds - I think - and taken my belt in a notch. I have
been eating almonds, pecans, walnuts, and pine nuts, beef and bison and
fish, eggs, greens (with commercial ranch dressings, in a few cases), and a
few vegetables like summer squash, zucchini, asparagus, and broccoli. I
dislike almost all fruit, so I rarely eat any.

I also have a problem with yeast, but keeping a very low carb diet (less
than 30 grams a day) handles it within 48 hours.  A <30g/d CH diet
generally means reading all labels and scoping out flour and sugar wherever
they raise their heads. A can of V8 juice has 15g, for example.  If you're
on an all-meat diet, you don't have to ferret out details, though, which is
one benefit.

Mike