Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 15:27:18 +0900
Susan Carmack wrote:

> Hi Paleopeople,
> Thank you for all the great suggestions regarding my antipaleo daughter. I
> agree she needs protein more than anything and marriage!

Hoo HOOO! Did you show her this post? I can just hear her
teenaged comeback.

I had never
> thought of that! I would love to have no Non paleo food items in the house
> but I have to go along with everyone's desires.

Seems to me the best way is to gradually increase the amount
of "good" foods in the house, while without comment
gradually decreasing the worst of the bad foods. This
depends mainly on your opinion of good and bad. Those things
that fall closer to the middle, well, just don't sweat them
too much. Sweetened flavored yogurt, even ice cream, are not
as bad as a lot of junk foods, chips and pop for instance.

Fruit, though maybe too high in sugar, is a lot better than
processed junk foods. Most kids, even teens will eat fruit
if other convenient food is not available. Keep a basket of
mixed fruit in the middle of the kitchen table. Nuts and
seeds too. Make it easy to choose better foods, and make
them work harder to get worse foods. Make them buy true junk
food with their own money.

Not true paleo, but for example the Atkins foods can be
substituted for lots of junk food. What teen wants to live
without pizza? Make Atkins style pizza. Just a few
suggestions. I am dealing with this now with my own little
kids. Recently all one of them wants to eat for breakfast is
cheese toast! I can buy great berries in the local
supermarket now. This is helping a lot with desserts.