Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 2010 15:38:31 -0500
Don Wiss wrote:
> Taking Vitamin D supplements is the one thing that very much would be
> paleo. At least it is for those of us that don't live outside year round.
>
> I need to find some good pages on Vitamin D to add to paleodiet.com.

There are some at:http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/

such as:
http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/search/label/Vitamin%20D%20and%20UV%20fluctuations%20(2)

"....I am quite well convinced from the Glasgow experience that
catastrophic vitamin D deficiency can be largely be ameliorated by
eating meat. Can "suboptimal" vitamin D deficiency relating to cancer
and CVD also be optimised by eating meat? Supplementing just 100iu/d
sorts out rickets but the same effect can be achieved with the
occasional burger.

I can see that aiming for a middle to upper lab range is a reasonable
hedging of bets. I'm not sure it is needed unless you come from a
history of vegetarianism or persist in the consumption of whole meal
flour, especially if coupled with near complete UV avoidance. Never
forget that much of the data on vitamin D supplementation comes from a
population crushed under the Food Pyramid or its derivatives, an eating
plan which almost seems to have been designed to maximise disease.
Vitamin D might well help under these situations, but what of those of
us who eat Food?

It seems like humans can get away with vegetarianism in the tropics.
Move north and you need to eat meat."

William