Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 10:46:10 -0400
siobhan said:
<<  My physician says that people who don't eat red meat
 live about 12 years longer.  He's been a vegetarian for over 20 years.  I
 realize this isn't a popular view of this group.  >>

>>I think there is some truth to this when we're talking about eating
mass-marketed meat, complete with its antibiotics and hormones, and
vegetables that are organic. A large percentage of long time vegetarians buy
organically.  Conversely, most people who will eat supermarket meat, will
also buy pesticide and GMO-laden veggies from the supermarket.

Did anyone mention that the typical people buying supermarket meat is also
(a) eating white flour, cold cereals, fluffed and puffed high glycemic grain
foods, white rice, white pasta, and other processed grains 3x a day?

(b) that these people are eating sugar 3, 4, 5, or more times per day?  Many
people eat sugary things almost constantly; some people drink a liter or
more of pop a day, eat candy every day, doughnuts, cookies, etc.

(C) that such people typically eat hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated
fats and oils, margarine, and shortening in many forms every single day?
You'd be amazed at how many packed, canned and bottled foods contains these
deadly altered fats.

(d) that such people typically don't consume even 5 measly USDA servings or
produce per day (so they don't ingest many antioxidants)?  A USDA serving is
only 1/2 cup cooked vegetables, 1 cup salad greens, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, 1
small fruit, etc..

(e) such people typically consume other hazardous materials--MSG,
polysorbate 60 (or 80), food colorings, dyes, preservatives, artificial
sweeteners, and other man-made things that don't do a body good?

That they eat meat, and that they eat supermarket meat is the least of their
problems..... (oh, if they are deep fried, petrified, etc... then you do add
more problems.....but if they are baked, broiled, poached, or simmered I
doubt they are a hazard in the context of an otherwise junk food free, super
nutrition diet.....)

Qaulity, quantity, context...

Rachel
(ok, seriously back to work.....:_)