From:
Thad Beeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 18:59:26 -0500
I was a homeschooler for 8 years.  And at one time I was homeschooling 5
children (yes, all mine).  As each one developed an interest and plan for
his/her life, we sought ways to develop that interest.  In some cases, it
meant going to school.  Each one entered the school system at a different
age--some in high school and some in middle school. The kids had hands-on
experiences with many different things--caring for farm animals, births of
goat kids and kittens, gardening, helping their father build an addition to
our house, etc. In addition to the rich experiences of daily life, they had
book studies, as well.  We belonged to several support groups which allowed
for interaction with other kids (socialization) and afforded opportunities
for field trips and other great experiences--one of the homeschooling moms
was a former high school biology teacher--the kids were able to do a unit
study with her and did dissections of starfish and worms.  One of the moms
had a built-in pool in her home--and several families got together every
Wednesday, for swimming, through the winter months. She also had a piano--so
after the swimming came singing.  Sometimes thirty kids would be gathered,
from toddlers to teenagers--their favorite song to sing was "Dust in the
Wind"!!
At any rate--the homeschooling was a great thing for my kids--and each one
has been on the honor roll at school when they did begin traditional school.
So I have nothing but good things to say about it!! There are as many
reasons to homeschool as there are families--but diet is definitely a good
one--the school lunches are definitely SAD fare.