From:
"Namaste, Liz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 05:56:03 EDT
In a message dated 8/27/02 4:49:26 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>It is not necessary to cut out all sweets, he added. And like many doctors,
>Einhorn does not believe claims that carbohydrates are to blame for obesity.
>
>"It is not any one thing that's the culprit," Einhorn said. "It's not just
>the fast food. It's not just the pastries. It's a combination of genetics
>and the diseases of modern living--obesity and sedentary living."

This kind of statement is so disingenuous! Does this fellow Einhorn believe
that our genetics have changed in the past decade or so? Does he really
believe people used to be that much more physically active -- my mother and
father certainly didn't do any ground-pounding, and they didn't gain weight.
They never heard of a gym. I had my weight more or less under control myself
until I unwittingly, in a misguided effort to prevent heart disease, took the
government's advice and ate primarily carbos (complex by the way) and low fat
-- then it skyrocketed -- and my lipids values went crazy!!  Yes, people eat
fast food, but they did that 30 years ago too. As a nation we have cut the
fat, but increased the carbs -- those are the statistics!!! We followed the
pyramid. We have gyms and personal trainers and people out walking and
jogging -- and for all this we have insulin resistance?? When will the people
who devised and pushed the pyramid stand up and take some responsibility??

Namaste, Liz
<A HREF="http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html">
http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html</A>