From:
tsayonah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 14:20:52 -0500
Mel Pegg wrote:
>  Also, I don't think I
> have Coeliac Disease as my diet is completely gluten and wheat free, plus
> I was slightly overweight until eating paleo.

I was exceedingly overweight, topping out at 375 in spite of
all the "reduction" diets since age 7 or thereabouts.
Celiac wasn't suspected until this year (some 50 too late)
by which time I had so much gut damage that I have leaky
gut, lots of allergies, insulin resistance etc etc etc.
Those who think they are doing a good job of staying gluten
free might want to check:
http://www.celiac.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=185&p_catid=12&sid=91hH9H0WY2l6648-24102072248.cc

If this is too long to work, go to celiac.com, page down to
the link that says forbidden foods, on that page click more
info for the forbidden list.

This will give you some perhaps surprising insight into just
how pervasive wheat is in the SAD.  Of course, a lot of the
things listed aren't paleo, but some are.  Turkey, for
instance - the kind that is "self-basting" is usually
pre-basted with something containing flour.  I found that
out to my grief when sliced turkey from the deli made me
sick just like a piece of bread does.
--
   Elisi Tsayonah, AniWodi, ghigau,
   St Francis River Band of Cherokee