From:
Ben Balzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 06:10:06 +1100
> Michael Audette wrote:
>
> >Alot of genetic changes and adaptations have happened in 7000000 years or
> >when ever. It would be illogical to think we could survive on the diet of

As we are all aware, genetic changes tend to occur in response to Darwinian
selection- ie they tend to occur in response to factors that lead to change
in the ability to survive to reproduce. Therefore, evolutionary genetic
changes occur in response to diet ONLY IF the diet affects the chances of
one's survival to reproductive age. They don't occur if the food is less
than ideal but only affects us in later life.

Although the Neolithic diet causes a lot of health problems- in fact the
majority of the work of the whole medical industry- these problems don't
generally occur until later in life.

Most people in modern society don't develop hypertension , diabetes, heart
disease, osteoarthritis, autoimmune disease until their post-reproductive
years (although there is a trend these days to put off childbirth until one
is ready to retire ;-)). Therefore even today when we all live long enough
to develop these dietary diseases, there is still no evolutionary pressure
for our genes to adapt.

The main early- life problem caused by grain based diets is the development
of dental caries and this would be a major problem in a primitive society I
imagine. Stature may be shorter but only if there is plenty of alternative
(ie Paleolithic) food around.

Against the disadvantages for primitive man, we must realistically see the
advantages- grains (and potatoes) store without refrigeration, are energy
dense,easily transportable, have a short life cycle (good for nomads or if
you get kicked out by another tribe), and the food is the seed. Also, it's
rather hard to grow many other crops I imagine in the savannah. One can only
imagine being on vast savannah plains all day long, all that grass
everywhere, all those healthy antelopes. Then one day Grock the Genius
discovers that you can eat the seeds if you cook them. "Hmm very crunchy".
"Nice change from the roots shoots and antelope and megafauna. The other
tribes will be so jealous at the summer solstice fair".

Eating these things (Neolithic foods like grains potatoes beans) basically
doubles the amount of available plant food calories- even without the
storage advantage (which is an enormous advantage especially when one
considers the weather. This is a really big advantage. It worked, it created
civilisation. Now we have to realise the downside- the second half of life
is spent at the doctors.

Then there's the theory that grains are addictive because they contain
exorphins- endorphin like substances. Maybe they do, but I've never noted
any cravings for a bread roll- despite being an ex-smoker and current
caffeine addict. I'd know a craving if I had it. I've never seen anyone hold
up a shop for the sandwich loaves. Imagine all the prisoners misbehaving so
they could go on bread and water. All the children refusing candy, having a
tantrum to get a bread stick. No, can't see it really.