From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 12:02:05 +0200
Todd Moody wrote on Jun,1:

>Is it correct that on the Zone you eat just enough carbs to
>prevent gluconeogenesis?  I have the idea that Protein Power's
>40g/day is adequate for that.  Lyle McDonald has worked this out,
>but I don't have the numbers handy.

I think it can't be enough. Taking the following puzzlestones:

> Approximately 180 grams of glucose are oxidized per day,
>mostly by those tissues for which it is essential.
 ( http://www.zonehome.com/met/metglucose.htm  in the first paragraph)

So, if the brain's part takes 80% from the essential amount,
and the brain can (after a little time) convert its engines to use
40 to 60% of fat fuel, it can on LC spare 180*.80*.60 = 86.40 grams.
This leaves (at least) 100 grams glucose as essential.

Which surely must come from gluconeogenesis, otherwise the brain wouldn't
have switched to glucose saving modus.

As i understood it, some *at least* 60% of protein is of unused amino
acids, and used for burning purposes anyway. Bigger protein amounts as the body
can
use including it's nitrogen components (above the disputed requirements)
Should take the same path.

This burning process is then also called gluconeogenesis.
Normally (in the avreage) accounting for about 25% of the glucose.

just puzzling

Amadeus