From:
Theola Walden Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 23:22:09 -0500
From: "Ken Stuart"
> So, after DST changes to Standard Time, the sun IMMEDIATELY sets one >hour
> earlier.   At that point, everyone is automatically going to bed an hour
later,
> because they do so according to the CLOCK, not according to the earth and
sun.

> This is why it is especially important to make a mental effort to go to
bed
> earlier during Standard Time.

But, Ken, if we go to bed by the clock, we also get up by the very same
clock.  Let's say a person keeps a regular 11 pm - 6 am schedule 365 days a
yr.  That's 7 hrs of sleep every night 365 days of the yr, irrespective of
on DST or off it.  As I said, the clock face is arbitrary and DST an
artificial construct.

I've not read the book, but from discussions here I gather the basic premise
is that we're "supposed" to sleep more in the winter because, well, there
are more hours of darkness in the temperate zones where populations tend to
be concentrated.  The inverse of that is the question of how much less sleep
we are "supposed" to get in the summertime.  (And don't some troublesome
questions arise about Equatorial and Arctic populations and how much sleep
the author thinks they're "supposed" to get?)  But I'm not trying to argue
that most of us aren't sleep deprived on any old day of the year.

What I don't have a clue about is why you claim that
>>the key would be to start your diet on the day in October when Daylight
>>Savings Time ends.

The key to what?  And what, really, does DST have to do with diet?

Theola