From:
Evelyn McWilliams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2003 10:18:07 +1000
A naturopath recently diagnosed me with fatty liver. I am always fascinated to learn more about any new disease of mine, real or imagined. So have done the usual google search.

Fatty liver sufferers are usually obese or alcoholic. At about 15% body fat and a teetoller, I don't fit the profile.

However, years spent on a predominantly vegetarian diet with accompanying IBS could have resulted in the syndrome described in the article below.

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1038763.stm

Basically, the theory goes that sluggish bowel movements result in an "internal distillery" where gut bacteria works on undigested food to produce alcohol, resulting in a fatty liver.

When I think of all those poorly digested cereals and grains, I could have been manufacturing my own pure malt!

Thought it might be of interest.

Evelyn