From:
"Balzer, Ben" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 23:10:11 +1000
Craig,
it's often puzzled me why Westerners find organ meats repulsive, yet they
are so prized by traditional societies and were staples of our grandparents.
They don't keep well (like most foods high in omega 3's) and need to be
bought fresh ad eaten quickly (like fish). Maybe it's our fridge-enmeshed
behaviour pattern- shop once a week at the Wack-e-Mart, and expect it all to
last as good as day one. Paleo foods tend to spoil quickly- traditional
hunter-gatherers ate animal products shortly after the kill, not days later.

Also, you've fallen into the biggest Paleo diet trap- which is to make it a
diet where you focus totally on the exclusions (grains bean potatoes sugar
salt yeast dairy), and ignore the areas you need to emphasise (organ meats,
marrow, root vegetables, maybe even mineral water).

Still, I haven't worked myself up to eating brains yet (but not far from
it). Hard to find a restaurant that serves them :-).

Ben Balzer