From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 2009 19:23:04 +0100
Umm, there really is only 1 sole member on this list  who advocates a raw, no carb diet. Others like me advocate a raw, low carb diet, while still others advocate cooked Cordain-friendly palaeo diets etc.

As regards raw-meat-eating, people often forget that the advent of cooking only occurred in the last 10% of the Palaeolithic era(c.250,000 years ago) , so  cooking was only a phenomenon of the very last tail-end of the Palaeolithic.

I'll grant you, though, that many zero-carbers, raw or cooked, wrongly blame all the health-problems incurred from eating grains as occurring from eating any carbs at all. Fruit and veg have not much in common with grains.

Plus, if you've been reading Cordain's newsletter, you'll find he sometimes (very reluctantly) admits that cooking does damage to foods in various ways.

Geoff

> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 12:42:16 -0500
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: How fire made us human
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Following the reactions to “How fire made us human” it seems that this
> Paleofood Digest” is irrevocably devoted to a raw meat, no carb diet,
> with only a few rarely heard other voices.
>
> To review: Dr. Cordain, ( http://www.thepaleodiet.com/), who was
> involved in the beginning of this digest, found that scientific
> research reveals that the evolutionary, genetic, and clinical evidence
> point to a natural (i.e., unprocessed foods), OMNIVOROUS diet as the
> healthiest way to eat. That is, “ Roots and tubers, Berries, Fruits,
> Nuts. The most obvious plant food missing is grains and grain
> products. If you can concentrate on fresh versions of the plants above
> - and eliminate or drastically reduce grains, grain products, sugars,
> and sugar products - you will be well on your way to eating the plants
> that fit your genetic constitution.  The animal sources were: wild
> terrestrial animals (including the muscle tissue, fat and organs,
> although the total amount of fat and the fatty acid composition were
> quite different than that found in modern domestic animals). Fowl,
> Insects, Fish and seafood, Eggs.  And Cordain does not suggest that we
> do not cook our meat.  Virtually all of the carbohydrates Paleolithic
> people ate came from nonstarchy, wild fruits and vegetables.
> Consequently, their carbohydrate intake was much lower and their fiber
> intake much higher than those obtained by eating the typical modern
> diet."
>
> Cordain makes more sense to me than the raw-meat-only-folks. Cordain's
> diet deserves the title Paleodiet, even if a few isolated hunters ate
> mainly raw food.  It was Human to develop fire and cook our meat, it
> was mainly Prehuman to eat raw meat. Those of you who have health
> conditions which only respond to raw meat seem to be making a virtue
> of a fault.
>
> Ken

Share your photos with Windows Live Photos – Free.
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/134665338/direct/01/