Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 00:29:31 -0400
Karla wrote:
> And, I'm dropping out the ghee, almonds, and almond butter (and rice and
> beans) for a week, as per Oliva, so what fat intake amount is good to
> shoot for?
A rule of thumb (for a relatively sedentery low carber) is about 70%
of calories from fat, 25% from protein, and a little tiny bit of carbs
(only because you can't avoid them completely). Try eating something that
you know caloric values of and make sure you bring your total calories
at least to maintenance level recommended for your size/age/activity level.
If you cut your calories by more than about 10% below maintenance your
metabolism will slow down. It's easy to do that on a low carb diet,
esp if you eat a lot of protein, because you will not feel hungry (or
at least not very hungry). And don't worry about gaining weight with
all the extra fat - as long as you keep your carbs very low and
your fat intake not ridiculously excessive you are unlikely to gain
weight (though you will probably not lose much/any if your calories
are much higher than maintenance).

> > Second, I didn't see any mention of fish or any other omega-3 source.   Sears has noted problems with the Zone after a period of time that he traced down to slowly increasing AA/DGLA ratio.   Fish oil capsules help this, or alternately eating more cold-water fish such as salmon, tuna, etc.  Skin problems would seem to indicate this.
>
> I used the justsoexpensive Zone fish oil caps with no results, but found
> out at D'Adamo that O's shouldn't do a lot of A and E, especially
> fish-derived, due to already thin blood and low blood pressure.  Both of
> these are true for me.  My son, also an O neg, gets nosebleeds when he
> takes too much A or antioxidants.  So, I'm wary.  I do eat salmon,
> roughy, tuna, and sea bass when we can get them.  Maybe once per week,
> generally.
This may or may not be due to excess of fish oil. Rather it may be due to
lack of saturated fats. They aren't as bad as the general press paints them
to be.

Ilya