From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 17:51:08 -0800
>I have realized that in the past american readers of this list have been
>misinformed when I have been writing about that big animal that they
>name "moose". I have been using the british english name "elk" which I
>now understand americans use for the _stag_.
>In fact the american moose (the animal, not the word)is _not_ exactly the
>same as the european elk, so I used the name "elk" to distinguish, not
>knowing that it could be wrongly interpreted.
>
>So, what is the official language on this list?

I am getting confuse too,  Hans >
The mouse in north america correspond to the animal that have flat antlers
too in northern europe that we call" elan" in French. From what i got from
my dictionnary the british call it elk too . When the british arrived in
north america they give that name to an animal that is rather different than
the "european form of  moose". The elk here is as big as a mouse but with
antlers like the stag ( so way bigger than the european form that in French
we call "cerf".
because the forms of thoses animals differ between north america and europe
it is confusing to name it with the same words.
ISo when you sent me this dry meat was it mouse ( the aquatic animal with
flat antlers) or elk? It was excellent anyway

jean-claude