From:
Hans Kylberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 09:40:02 +0100
At 19:43 2002-02-08 EST, S C wrote:

>I wonder what made grains so attractive
>for cultivation as compared to other crops.

Of course several crops were tried. What made grains dominating was
perhaps the fact that it is easy to store, and has a very calorie content
relative the volume and weight, something that later also made it well
suited for warfare.

>Do you think that if a paleo hunter killed a lactating female animal that he
>drank her milk--or gave it to his children?

Certainly no edible part of an animal was left, at least during times
with bad hunting/gathering luck. But the milk is not available unless
there is actually a calf sucking. The stomach content of a calf is more
interesting here. Small amounts anyway, no paleo kids got dependent on
anthelope milk.

- Hans