Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 01:27:50 -0800
>> can anyone tell me of a brand of canned tuna that is just tuna, and is not
>> canned with soybean oil?
>
>Whole Foods Market sells tuna in a can.  That's it, tuna, plus a can.  Oh, and
>some water.  No salt, no soy, no hydrologized vegetable protein, no other crap,
>just tuna, water, and the can.  Cheap too, relative to other tuna/water/can you
>can buy.

In the Pacific NW USA there are several locally-produced line-caught tuna
brands that list tuna & salt as the ingredients. No "broth", casein,
soya oil, hydrolysates etc. One must simply read the labels - here in the
States a least not listing ingredients can get a lawyer on your ass PDQ,
so, except for stealth MSG (no doubt a sop thrown to the canning industry),
labels can be a good guide in the quest for Paleo eats.

BTW the King Oscar brand of brisling ("sardines") is imported from
Norway and comes packed in olive oil. Yum. We have many Norwegans
here in the Ballard district of Seattle who insist on the "good stuff."
One can find it on sale often, when not dodging tear gas canisters
lobbed during WTO protests ;-)

Is Lutefisk Paleo? It's fish, treated with lye and dried. In prehistoric
days lye might've come from wood ashes. I don't touch Lutefisk
myself, was just curious as to whether caustic hydroxides as a method
of preservation would count it out as non-Paleo. The fish was edible
to start with, and is arguably edible after being treated, so it kind
of skirts the Forbidden Fruit criterion in that aspect.