From:
Lurisia Dale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 20:04:43 -0800
>then what can one use for starch other than sweet potatoes
> that is still considered paleo??

According to Cordain, even sweet potatoes should not be eaten very often.  I
think Audette may actually label them as "forbidden fruit."

But someone on this list recommended carrots....

> If one's eating lower protein (only enough to maintain muscle
> mass, no extra to be converted into energy), high "good" fats and low carbs
> (only non-starchy veggies plus little to no fruit), how is one supposed to
> exercise at high intensity levels without bonking?    I noticed when
> Rosedale was on TV last night that he looks extremely fit and trim.

Using liberal amounts of fruit I can get pretty close to full intenstiy
anaerobic workouts, and I know some male body builders who say the same.  Fruit
isn't quite as good as brown rice, say, but it's pretty close.  Also, if your
goal is to build muscle mass, I think the best strategy is to eat lots of
protein.  And even if your goal is fat loss, I would still say eat lots of
protein, and just enough fruit to workout hard.  You will not be able to run a
marathon, but you can easily do an hour of 70-80% effort cardio each day -- I
know I can.

The only level of training that the Paleo Diet precludes (and I know some on
this list would argue that it doesn't even preclude this) is the level performed
by professional athletes in peak condition.  Which of course is a level of
training that our ancestors would never use or need in the wild.

Hope that helps,
Lurisia