From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 1997 02:05:46 -0400
Paul Getty <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>        I am taking a fiber supplement now

You already told us a few days ago.

>and without changing my diet, in 4
>weeks my cholesterol has dropped 50 points, my HDL and LDL are in normal
>range for the first time ever, my triglycerides decreased, blood sugar went
>from 180 to 114 (and that's while eating lots of processed wheat flour and
>sugar) and my blood pressure has improved.

But all these things will also improve on a Paleo diet without taking fiber.

>        In Neanderthin and in general the low carb diets there is so much
emphasis
>on getting the carbohydrate:protein:fat ratios within what our ancestors my
>have had, but I think fiber has been *relatively* forgotten.

For one you haven't read NeanderThin yet. Have you ordered it yet? There is
no focus on ratios. But if you aren't eating all the modern foods you don't
need to take any supplements, nor do you need to supplement with fiber.

>  And there is
>a lot to know about fiber, most of which I don't know.  But not every fiber
>product will be effective.  Mine is Bios Life from Rexall.

This is the second time you have recommended a product that you, a friend
or a relative sells. This is prohibited on this list and all other mailing
lists that I know of. Please refrain from such recommendations.

> In recent
>studies fiber was shown to be effective in reducing heart disease by 41%,
>without any change in diet, lifestyle, or any other contributing factor!

Sounds like the typical hype coming from someone selling something under a
multi-level marketing scheme. But we here want to change our diet, as heart
disease is only one of the things that we should avoid. By definition a
Paleolithic diet should be preventative against all civilizatiory diseases,
also called Western diseases.

>Clearly we need to be getting enough fiber.  The amount that is being
>recommended is 30 to 40 grams, with a high percentage of soluble fiber.

Again you have no evidence that fiber is needed for someone on a
Paleolithic diet. Maybe for someone eating toxic grains, foods high in
phytates, and the like, then maybe fiber is needed. Please stop pushing
your pet supplement on this list.

Don.